The Paso Doble; the most important Ballroom dance style there is according to Rico and Abuela. If you’re going to attempt the quick-footed Spanish style, you had better do it right, not only in footwork but in feeling. Follow these steps to make sure you get it exactly right…
- All moves should be sharp and quick, with the chest held up and out epitomising pride and dignity.
- Dancers must possess both composure and stealth.
- Feet should always be in contact with the floor for better stability and control.
- The steps are highly stylised in a staccato rhythm.
- The man’s weight should be over the balls of his feet and towards the inside edges.
- The woman should have her chest held high with the rib cage carried up from the waist.
- The dancers need to keep a rigid and close hold throughout the steps.
- Heart and passion are essential to a true Paso Doble, feel the music with your heart.